Glassware factories in Lower Silesia have been a great boost in the development of the finest industrial history in this part of Europe. Among them the history of “Julia” glassworks arouses curiosity. It goes back to the 19th century and is inextricably connected with the fate of the two biggest German glass manufacturers: “Josephine” from Szklarska Poreba and “Heckert” from Piechowice. “Josephine” Glassworks were built in 1842. Thanks to the genius of the first architect and first director Franz Pohl, the glass factory took the lead over these kinds of factories in the Giant Mountains. Its workers were credited with their craftsmanship and skills and were using latest techniques of glass processing, which were later copied by manufacturers from Italy and Czech Republic. “Jospehine” products decorated royal and aristocratic residences everywhere in Europe and United States. The glass produced near Szklarska Poreba was said to be “wonderful paintings, more beautiful than the ones from porcelain”. Merchandise from “Josephine” won precious awards, for example a gold medal in the Great Exhibition in London in 1851. Glassworks craftsmen created real masterpieces.
At the end of the 19th century “Josephine” from Szklarska Poręba got a dangerous competitor in the industry – glassworks of Fritz Heckert from Piechowice. Heckert was a member of the German royal family. He owned funds that allowed his factory to develop and benefit from the talent of masters in the glass trade. He employed qualified professionals from the Czech side of the Giant Mountains, which allowed him to reach “Josephine” glassworks very fast in terms of quality.
In 1923 Fritz Heckert’s glassworks from Piechowice, “Jospehine” glassworks from Szklarska Poreba and the company Kynast Kristal Neumann & Staebe from Sobieszów joined their forces. In this way a joint stock company arose with “Josephine” as their trademark. From now on the two biggest glassworks from the Giant Mountains continued together the conquest of the world’s markets.
After World War II Polish workers were studying and successfully applying crafts of masters from Germany. In 1958 “Josephine” glass factory took the Polish name “Julia”. After socioeconomic changes in 1999 Americans took over the glassworks and led it to bankruptcy. In 2006 part of the factory, together with the machines and the facilities, was bought by a Polish family from Lower Silesia, which invested and started the glassworks once again. Today 80% of the products are exported.
“Julia” Glassworks from Piechowice, whose products we offer, is nowadays a beneficiary of Lower Silesian crystal producers and the only memory after glass manufacturing traditions in this part of the Giant Mountains. It functions in the old walls of Fritz Heckert’s glassworks. It offers products related to the design of the 19th century’s artdeco but also very modern articles based on contemporary ideas. All of them are manufactured using traditional techniques, manually formed and cut. They go to markets all over the world and are exhibited on local and international trade shows. They are awarded with prestigious prizes and honours and could be watched in museums throughout Europe. We want to invite you, when choosing articles of everyday use for your house, to reach for this special offer, so beauty and functionality enriches our living surroundings.